Friday, February 25, 2011

Get your craft on!

One of my nesting instincts as been making hair accessories for baby Kenzie. I have no idea why but I guess that having a little girl is bringing out the crafty side of me which usually is nonexistent. Ha ha! I have spent WAY way way WAY too much time looking at ALL kinds of gorgeous bows online and wishing I could spend money on them. To satisfy my bow making urge, I found tutorials online so that I could make my own! I found a random box of craft supplies I didn't know I had, got out my hot glue gun and needle/thread, and tried to be a little crafty. (It's sad, but I even dream about bows - seriously, it must be the pregnancy dreams combined with the nesting instinct!) I haven't made nearly as many different styles as I want since my supplies are limited. But it has been fun to try these out! I am really really itching to try this next: http://www.simplyvintagegirl.com/blog/index.php/2010/05/29/tutorial-how-to-make-lovely-fabric-flowers.


I can't take credit for the 2 actual ribbon bows - my mom made those and I can't quite figure out how to make them on my own! I have a particular style in mind that I want to try that doesn't have the tails hanging down, but can't find a good tutorial. So my mom and I are going to figure it out when she is here to help with the new baby!
This is my favorite and was SO easy! I really love the vintage style.

This is like a little ray of sunshine!

I made matching ones for Kenz and me! HA ha - I know, cheesy. But cute!

I need to find a cute little embellishment to put in the middle of this one but I like how dainty it looks!

My first attempt at rosettes. Hopefully I will get better with time!

I love polka dots!!!!!! (Courtesy of my fabulous madre)

Besides a few crochet headbands my mom got me, I ordered 5 colors of these darling stretchy and shiny headbands from Etsy: Here's a link to the Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/listing/66029716/new-choose-5-interchangeable-soft.

My friend, Christy, helped me sew this carseat canopy and I love how it turned out! I just need to add some ribbons and buttons to the handle part.

I am finally feeling like I can move on with my life and that I don't need 10 million bows made before Kenzie is born! I have many many years to make them! What I really need to do now is pack my hospital bag!!

1 comments:

Nat said...

I think having a baby girl just brings the craft out of you; it totally did for me too! I have NEVER sewed or done anything before, but I made a TON of flower headbands and bows, skirts and stuff... Recently, I have been sewing shoes (ithinksew.com has some fabulous patterns that are fairly inexpensive, and instantly downloadable) and I also made a carseat canopy. You mentioned doing ribbons on yours, but I wanted to show you an idea I stole: I made some fabric flowers and safety pinned them on to the straps. It's way cute, and the flowers are not difficult to make either. http://sewritzytitzy.blogspot.com/2008/11/from-annas-gardenfabric-flower-tutorial.html
You can also size them down a little and/or only do one layer of petals and make some more fun headbands!