Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Flusher

I love kindergarten.
I love that I got sick my FIRST day teaching - the classroom is like a petri dish of germs.
I love that the kiddos say the most random things
(Me: "Daphne, did you know that Christian goes to your same church?"
Daphne (blank stare): "I have a loose tooth.")
I love that Davis brings me an apple every other day (I didn't know that kids really did that!).
I love that I get to sound out every single letter when we write one word.
I love our deep intellectual conversations about losing teeth and visiting grandma.
I love snack time.
I love overusing glue so that papers are soaking wet with Elmer's.
I love catching a finger up a nose in route to the mouth.
I love opening snacks, zipping up coats, tying shoes.
I love getting hugs.
I love kids who leave class, flush the toilet until it overflows, and then dance in the water (not sure what motivated that. the response I got was "I just wanted to see what would happen if I flushed the toilet lots of times.").
I love trying to decipher a sentence that looks like this: WIGTSMY.
I love singing "Old MacDonald" everyday.
I love fingerplays.
I love how the kindies believe their imaginary magic wands for writing letters are real.
I love getting cute notes such as "I love Mrs. Morey" with a stick figure image of me.
I love kindergarten.

P.S. I have now taught K, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th. Do I know which grade I want to teach? Nope - I'm loving them all. Each grade has it's positives and negatives. I do know that, though I love kindergarten, I think I might want to teach older kiddos if it's for a longer period of time.

2 comments:

Marce said...

i love kindergarten, too! some days, i am so exhausted..but when i really think about it, i realize i have a DREAM JOB! kids that love you always, no matter what..and show you with their germy, sticky, boogery hands and faces! how are you doing? i miss you and your laugh/smile.

Kristie said...

glad you are liking your job and that the finger plays are a hit. i remember a couple mom used to do but i imagine they have progressed since the 3 little pigs and goldylocks